Friday, April 5, 2013

Wheel / Rim choise



 The wheel and rim choise,

The wheels are in my opinion the most important part of the car concerning its look and drive-ability
Of cource, with out the wheels the car won't get far, fair enough... thats true !
But the looks of the rims make the difference between a mwah and a whah. Ofcource, my plain jane won't be fitted with a pair of ( safe played ) magnum 500's. How beautiful they are and classic looking on a 69 and 70 Mustangs this just won't cut it.
No, nothing is more sleeper then a pair of good old stock steelys. In the first place I got a set of 1970 -  14" wheels from a good friend.
Of cource, there are lots and lots of cool rims thats are lighter and provide better road feel.
The wheels where changed to 7J for the front and 8J for the rear. I fitted these rims with 225/60/14 for the front and for the rear I bought a set of 245/60/14's from BF Goodrich tires.

the rims after powdercoating in RAL9001 at velgenverbreden.nl 

  The 14" look




 
They sure looked great ! But something in me told me it could be better... in my opinion the filling of the wheel wells are minimum at best and as they say bigger is better.
After a while I found a set of 15" Torino steels and wide nth them also to 7 & 8 and fitted them with 235/60/15 in front and 255/60/15 in the rear. Well, this looked just Great !


In between changing...

The 15" look
[note: the front springs are cut but not at this picture... )

And the result ! :






2 comments:

  1. Hello Niels, I have been reading your Mustang blog recently and think you have done a lot of cool stuff with your car. I think your wheels are super cool and have been looking into doing a set of 1968-69 styled steel wheels for my Mustang HT from 68. It is a 14" stock wheel and I like that it looks original but with a twist.
    The 14" wheels you started with were 7" og 8" wide. Did they only get wider to the outside of the car or did you also make them wider on the inside? And how did you do it - did they have two cuts and weldings pr wheel?
    Still think your car is a super cool project - I like the oldschool approach!

    Merry Christmas
    Bernd (from Denmark)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bernd,

    I'm still very happy with my wheel choise.
    Personaly I would go for a 15" if you can find them... or 14" with a 70 Tire. The ET did not change and is widenth outwards. I used 7" in the front and 8" in the back. The wheels are cut in half just around the middle and a piece is welded in place. From the outside, you don't see much of it...
    I used stock FoMoCo dogdish hub caps, but I have to tell you, finding a set that are not damaged is nearly impossible. If you have a show car, I would suggest buying a NOS set... they are there but rare !

    Hope this answers your questions ?

    Glad to help,

    From Holland, Niels !

    ReplyDelete