Saturday, December 1, 2012

The 302 Clevor

The Clevor Engine,

The Clevor Engine is an engine that can be called a rare build. Now a days, people get horse power out of alu heads, strokers and other power parts. In the early days people made power with the parts at hand or with junk yards parts. This oldskool method got my attention when a friend and mustang enthosiast, Michel, shared this info with me.

The Clevor is a windsor block with cleveland heads. Cleveland & Windsor
There are many methods for building a clevor as long as you mix Cleveland style with Windsor style blocks. The Boss 302 engine in 1969 was basicly a clevor, they fitted a Cleveland ( that came out in 1970 ) to a 302 block for race. They used a 4V head for the race
Before we go start the technical bit, something about my own build.
As you might have read i'm a sucker for old-skool stuff and love the stock look.
The overal outside needed to be plain and simple. I searched the net for the correct parts for the correct look. I wanted to give it the 1970 Boss 302 look, but not being a Boss.
I found a set of NOS alu valve covers, a 1993 5.0 roller block and a pair of 302C heads !!! Yes, 302C also know as aussie heads.




HEADS:
Normaly the thumb rule bigger is better applies, but in this case 2V heads will do the job for street use more then fine !


In this case I used a pair of 302C closed chamber 2V heads with a combustion chamber of 58-62cc.
We milled the 5/16 to fit ths boss size 7/16 studs and used a 1.72  ratio rocker with roller tip.

Example of stock aussie heads.  
( the ported flow test does not concern in my build )


The reason why its so rare is because its not an easy fit. Its needs manufacturing, some welding and measuring. The problem is that the water on Clevelands flow through the block and in a Windsor through the intake manifold so it needs a water passage in the head and a freeze plug in the original passage of the Cleveland head ( see pictures ).


with the Cleveland style square water passage still in place ! 
 With the Cleveland style water passage blocked with a freeze plug
Close up:
Close up blocked:
The close chamber 302C 
Water passage needs to be drilled
Use the gasket for measurement and make the hole large enough for better cooling.
[ note : I made two mistakes, I let the hole drilled a little to small in the first place and for some reason I drilled two holes in each head ! stupid I know, only one is needed. Because I used the gasket for measurement, that gasket had 2 placed ! you only need on on front for each hole head. 




Before milling the 5/16 to 7/16








Sorry for the quality of this articel, its a scan from an old magazine. I tried to enhance it the best I could buts you might be able to make it out and I'm happy to send it to you by mail if needed !





A interesting artikel in Mustang & Fords



source: http://www.mustangandfords.com/techarticles/engine/30220_clevor_engine/viewall.html#ixzz2K8RxpoSq




The entire engine is build up from bottom and all is checked, cleared, decked, ported and such at Post & Drost in Dronten ( Holland ) 
BEWARE: Pics are not in order ! 











The intake ported and matched to the heads




Stuppid as I am, I put 2 water passages holes in the heads... ofcource, the intake has only one passage so this has to be plugged agian 








TDC 
 Fluid damper





 Boss oil pickup


 Rocker studs resiced to 7/16 boss specs !
















See interesting articles for Clevor related articles and scans ! 
http://302clevor.blogspot.nl/search?updated-min=2013-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2014-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=5

The intake manifold

Getting an intake manifold for this build was rather easy althoug this wasn't a few years ago. 
In the mid 80's B&A made a few good Clevor intake's. One for the street and one for the track.
Now, you can get those at Tim Meyers shop : http://tmeyerinc.com/B&Aintake.html
These are re-casts from the originals as far as I know.
Every once in a while you can score one on ebay, an original.
I decided to get one from Edelbrock because of the price. It is a nice intake and does its job as far as we can concluded. One detail, the head gaskets don't line up that good on the intake. 
In the pictures above you can see clearly how much matching was needed to fit and flow propper.



the B&A 302 Street Boss



 the B&A 302 Track Boss
better used with 4V Cleveland Heads !


The  302  E-Boss from Edelbrock



Some extra pictures of the build and detailing of the engine











25 comments:

  1. great build info! i built a 408 Clevor with the B&A track boss intake. My 69 Mustang build thread http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=5219

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool ! what kinda output did you get on your set up ? I take that a stroked clevor will even be more oompfh then my rather stock 302

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much hp and torque did this end up putting out? I'm trying to decide whether or not I'm going to do a similar build. That engine is beautiful btw

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hellow Matthew, here in this link you can see the specs from the build.
    Remember, this is with cast iron heads and a stock 302 Crank !!!
    http://302clevor.blogspot.nl/2013/03/its-alive.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. can u tell me where u got the decals for the valve covers and air breather. just bought a car with this motor and its missing the decals. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. can u tell me where u got the decals for the valve covers and air breather. just bought a car with this motor and its missing the decals. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Bill, these where custom made decals. No wonder why they are missing on your engine because these are the only ones around :D And, are you sure your car has a 302 clevor ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes its a 302 clevor. we bought the car from Bud Moore. Retired Nascar driver.ton of paper work on engine build . I never heard of this motor until we got this one.Its a very strong engine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Most engines have a Clevor based on a 351W engine with 351C heads. My set up runs Aussie heads. Would you be willing to share some pictures of your project Bill ?

    NIels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing Niels. our heads are cast iron. if u go facebook i have pics of motor posted . my facebook is under Bill Sloop.

      Delete
  11. I've got a Bush Performance Engine "Street Boss" intake (never used) the Rocker Arms, Pistons and ESP Rods for sale on a app called 5miles if anyone is interested.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If anyone is interested I have a 302 clever set up street boss intake 2v heads with the larger boss 302 valves installed adj rockers with guide plates compcams rollers pushrods forged 4.04 flat tops 302 crank and rods. $1800.00 for it all
    Seven one nine 4 six 9 1 two six 3

    ReplyDelete
  13. You made some respectable points there. I looked on the internet for the issue and found most people will go along with with your website. happy grandparents day quotes

    ReplyDelete
  14. I see that you are using WordPress on your blog, wordpress is the best.*:~-” Happy Grandparents Day Tom Cruise Wife

    ReplyDelete

  15. I haven't any word to appreciate this post, Really i am impressed from this post the person who create this post it was a great human, thanks for shared this with us.
    Screen Protector

    ReplyDelete
  16. NIels Hi i am doing this same build 302 roller stock and 2v closed chambers stock can you please send me the documents for head mods im in Australia would like to buy some decals if you have some to sell ...
    Regards Sean Sutherland

    ReplyDelete
  17. If I use 2 barrel open chamber heads, what pistons do I need? Also what rods do I use if I were to use 351 c 4 barrel pistons?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know the guy (Niels) who posted this and he sold the car some years ago.
    We noticed on problem with his set up which is worth mention: The pushrod guide plates. Please check that at full lift that the pushrods does not touch the inner radius of the guidplates. We had to modify these with a small diameter grinding stone to gain some play here. In the standard set-up these were touching each other at full lift which result into a broken pushrod. The top end snapped off after some use. Pay attention to this. It can prevent troubles.
    Succes!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have recently purchased a vehicle that has a 289 bored .040 over it has been built,and it has the 351C 4v heads it is cammed and has track boss intake. It has high compression and it makes great power ! It is backed by a 5spd in a fox body. How can I figure out the specifics of the build?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I live in Australia where in thd USA can l get the head bolts studs washers spacers to suit Cleveland heads om my 302 windsor thanks Michael Ward

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm tired of every article only talking about the heads. What pistons and rods are needed?

    ReplyDelete